So last night being Monday, it was time for Family Home Evening. Since Adelynne and Amy are so young and have very small attention spans, we have very, very short lessons to teach them more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Scriptures. Our helping companion in these lessons is a book called 52 Weeks of Family Night. It has very short little lessons and stories about one topic. Well last nights lesson was on the Armor of God which we can find more about in Ephesians 6:11-17. I decided that I would help Adelynne put on the Armor of God, but of course I had to improvise with things around the house. Dustin's toy sword was about the only thing I didn't have to improvise with, and Adelynne was excited to get to play with it. Adelynne was dressed with the breastplate of Righteousness, the belt of truth, shoes to help her walk in gospel paths, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit. Adelynne enjoyed being involved with the lesson in such a fun way. And when she was done, Amy wanted her turn as well. Behold, our warriors of Jesus Christ!
P.S. Adelynne has a blue mouth from a piece of candy that she was eating before the lesson.
And this is Adelynne singing along to our opening song: "I am a Child of God." I was only able to get the chorus on camera.


4 comments:
What a great FHE lesson. I love the armor! The pictures are great. I really don't think the length matters but the habit that is being formed and the opportunity it gives the children to feel the Spirit.
Such a good idea! The girlies look so cute!
Tracy, this is great! Our FHE's usually just involve playing on the swings, family prayer, and maybe looking at the pictures in the Friend. We've tried sitting around and singing songs from the Children's Song book but we don't get too far. This is a great idea we'll try at our house.
How fun! I love the armour. The challenge we have with family night is the age span of our children (11-5-2). We each take a turn teaching the lesson (minus the "baby". When the girls give the lesson it is usually a story from the friend, Daddy uses the Ensign, and I usually use other resources (FHE books we made in RS and such). We find that the shorter lessons are met with the least resistance and the fewest inturruptions of pillows being thrown or potty breaks. I am greatful that we have the habit of Family Home Evening! I am grateful for a prophet who shared his inspiration for it.
Post a Comment