Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pregnancy update

Warning: if you don't like feminine details you may not want to read this post.

Its been a crazy couple of days! On Tuesday I hit 14 weeks, and I went to visit my doctor. He did the normal check up by measuring me and listening to the baby's heartbeat and everything was great. Tuesday night came and I had a slight headache and I was very tired so I decided to skip out on volleyball-- that is a BIG deal for me! I watched some olympics but ended up falling asleep throughout the coverage so I finally went to bed. Just after 5:30am I woke up when I felt that my underwear was wet. I was thinking to myself, "Did I went myself in my sleep?" I was trying to remember if I had one of those dreams where I was sitting on the toilet and thinking it was real, but it wasn't, but I couldn't recall any such dream. Anyway, I got up to go to the bathroom and turned on the light. When I sat on the toilet I realized that my underwear was all bloody. I began to panic. I was peeing and I thought I felt a blood clot pass and when I wiped there was blood, and when I stood up and looked in the toilet it was bright red. I sat back down on the toilet because I couldn't handle the sight of the blood and what it might mean. I hollered for Dustin and he came stumbling into the bathroom. I immediately asked Dustin to give me a priesthood blessing, which he did. I hung to the words he said, praying they would be true, asking the Lord for the faith I needed to believe him when he said I would be able to carry the baby. After the blessing I dressed and laid down on the couch and asked Dustin to find the number for the ER. Then I thought to call the number for my doctor's office and I talked to an after hours nurse and she said she would contact my doctor and he would call me back in a few minutes. I hung up the phone, cried in Dustin's arms, and then we went and laid back down in our bed and waited. The phone never rang. When I went to the bathroom just before 8am there was no more blood. But I decided to call my doctor's office again. I was more descriptive of what had happened and they immediately set me up with an ultrasound appointment at 9:30am. As I was laying in bed that early morning, thinking of the worst I was praying that I would be able to handle what the worst would be. I was also thinking of the irony that I was possibly losing my baby the very day my friend was delivering hers. After setting my ultrasound appointment I called on friends to help watch the girls so that Dustin could go with me. Thank you with all my heart! Through all of this ordeal I have definitely felt love and support from so many friends and family. At the ultrasound Dustin and I waited patiently while measurements were taken and then finally the technician let us hear the heartbeat. Dustin later said he wished they had let us hear that at the beginning so that he would have known he wasn't looking at a dead baby. So true! But we did see our baby and heard a strong heartbeat, and even saw the baby moving. What a relief. After all the measurements we talked with a nurse who told me that they did not see any problems on the ultrasound that would have caused all the bleeding, and that our baby was healthy. I was told to go home and to "take it easy." So I did. I laid around on the couch and the bed and barely got up. Meanwhile my wonderful husband took care of the girls and the house. By the end of the day my hips hurt so bad from laying down so much. Around 9:30pm I used the bathroom and saw that I was bleeding some more. I had to use a pad to keep my underwear from getting bloody but, it wasn't really heavy bleeding. I had been told that I didn't need to call unless there was clotting. So I decided to wait it out. During the evening and night I used the bathroom at least 3 times and I was still bleeding. So this morning when I saw that I was still bleeding I called my doctor again and they set up an appointment for me to get checked. I saw a nurse practitioner midwife who did a great job easing my worries. She talked about the details in the ultrasound and how there was nothing in it that looked bad. The baby was healthy and my chances of miscarriage are very slim at this point. She explained that sometimes bleeding occurs during pregnancy without any explanation. She did perform a vaginal exam to see if there was anything visible there that could be the cause, but to no avail. So all my bleeding is unexplained, but I do feel more at ease and reassured that my baby is healthy and all is well. I've still been bleeding on and off throughout the day, so who knows when it will stop. On top of all of this I have developed a cold and upset stomach. A major headache was a huge source of discomfort for me today, on top of intense hip pain. All this laying around and "taking it easy" has caused a lot of pain in my hips, and then I was throwing up tonight from an upset stomach- hopefully not a bug, but I think it might have been. Ugh. Here's to hoping next week will be better! And to end this downer post here is a picture of our little one. Adelynne and Amy were so excited to see these pictures. Adelynne exclaimed, "Amy, that is our baby!" Amy was holding the pictures today and I asked her what she had she said, "The baby in mommy's tummy." They are so excited to be big sisters!

The measurements of the baby they took from the ultrasound actually put me at 13weeks and 1day. But they haven't officially changed my due date yet, I think they will wait until the 20week ultrasound.

16 comments:

Kayli said...

Oh, that is so scary! I'm sorry you had to go through it, but at least it doesn't have a sad ending!!! I hope you feel better really soon!

kimi + joe said...

Wow, what a terrible and unsettling feeling. I'm so sorry you all had to experience it but am so relieved everything is/will be ok. Hope everything gets back to normal quickly and is smooth sailing from here!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Oh Tracy, I'm so sorry!! I understand how scary it is and how miserable it is to be uncertain about everything. I'm praying for you!

gpbiggs said...

We're praying too. We love you and are looking forward to #6.
mom

beSlightlyAskew said...

I would be so freaked out. I'm so glad you're ok!

Alisha Erin said...

wow, that's so scary. i was terrified for months that I would miscarry with Minnie. I'm glad everything is checking out ok, and we'll keep you and the baby in our prayers.

Jessica said...

I am so glad that you and the baby are okay! I am also glad that you had a priesthood blessing, that probably wouldn't have been the first thing I did in that situation. You are such a great example to me, to show your trust in the Lord. Thank you! Get feeling better and call if you need anything.

Julia and Aaron said...

Tracy, so sorry yuo went through that. Hope you are feeling better now. I love how excited the girls are about the baby!

Joni and Chase said...

Tracy, that sounds so scary and upsetting. What a nervous few days that must have been. I hope you are feeling better and please don't hesitate to call if you need any help.

Christina said...

How scary, but I'm glad everything is okay! I hope you feel better soon!

Charles and Crissy said...

Oh... my gosh Tracy. That is so scary. I'm so happy you AND baby are okay. I hope you get over this sickness as well. I love you, girl!

Christina Allen said...

That sounds so scary! Glad to hear it all turned out ok!

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

Oh Tracy!! I'm so sorry you had such a scare!! I hope and pray that baby stays put and you start feeling better!

Shelly Beth said...

That is such a scary thing but I think you were so wise to get a blessing first thing! Your faith is great! I hope things continue to get better and that the baby is healthy and strong! I will be thinking of you during your whole pregnancy!

PJ Evers said...

Same thing happened to me at 12 weeks. Scary - absolutely! And very unusual for me. However with 2weeks of rest the bleeding stopped. That "little" baby is Jeff. You are in my prayers, Tracy.
Love You,
Patti

Two Cent Sparrow said...

How scary! I can't image how awful seeing all that blood must have been. Praise the Lord the baby is okay!