Thursday, August 20, 2009

What a night

So yeah, it was quite the night. With the storm sirens sounding, torrential rains beating down, thunder vibrating the walls, and the the storm guide suggesting we seek shelter in our homes' safe zones, I was feeling a little sorry for the newcomers to Indiana. It was a threatening evening. Dustin and I bundled up the girls and ourselves in preparation for a trip down to the apartment basement, but we never went down, much to Adelynne's dismay. It didn't help that I developed a raging fever on top of this lung-hacking cold of mine that I've been fighting all week. After Dustin decided we were okay to stay inside, he put the girls to bed while I fell into a feverish sleep on the couch. It was 9pm when I got up and went to bed. I lay there wishing I could go back to sleep and wondering if I should go see a doctor the next day, when at some point I finally fell asleep. Then at about 2:15am Dustin and I woke to Amy screaming in terror. Dustin jumped out of bed and went to her. He was comforting her and trying to put her back to bed, but instead she screamed louder when he tried to put her in her bed. Finally in frustration, Dustin asked Amy what was wrong, and she cried as loud as she could that she was scared. Why was she scared? Apparently there were scary bugs in her bed. Dustin checked her bed and found no traces. It must have been a nightmare. But she would not settle down unless in our arms. So I held her in our bed and kept reassuring her that there were no bugs and mommy and daddy were here. After a while it seemed that she was settling down into her restless sleep. She was climbing over me, trying to find a place to settle, when she looked back at the spot next to me and cried out in terror again. I grabbed her up and held her and told her there was no bug there, it was just the bed. My child was really freaked out. Then this morning, when Amy and I woke up in my bed, she proceeded to tell me about the scary bugs. "They gone. Keelled the bugs, they all gone." Whatever this nightmare was, she remembered it well.

Then Adelynne, who has been up for quite some time, comes in to greet me with a smile, which soon fades when I notice the haircut she gave herself. That's right, she cut a good chunk of hair off the front of her head. Pictures coming soon. It looks a little like a front mullet, but not too bad. Now she just has some bangs.

Oh, what a night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy, I'm so sorry you had such a terrible night! I hope you're starting to feel a little better. Let me know if you'd like some help fixing Adelynne's hair!

Our Biggs Family said...

You did have quite the night! Were you able to get some rest today?

Two Cent Sparrow said...

I can't wait to see pics of this front mullet!

You're a good mom, Tracy! And you must be exhausted. I hope you get some rest soon.

The Short Family said...

Sounds like a rough night! I hope you are feeling better and that Amy's bug dreams do not return. You are such a good mom to not get upset about Adelynne's hair. I would have been furious.

kristine N said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough night. The new grad student in my lab was very impressed by the weather (though I'm not sure in a good way). Gotta love Indiana!