Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring Fest 2009

Today was the annual Purdue University Spring Fest, and for the first time of the three years we have attended, the weather was beautiful.  It was a perfect day for a walk around campus and enjoying all of the many activities.  Our favorite activity to start with is the Veterinary School to see the baby animals.  This baby lamb was only one day old.  We also saw baby pigs, a calf, chicks, goats, and an alpaca and a llama.  


This horse was pretty fun to look at.  He must be a very patient horse!

And the girls of course enjoyed a pony ride-the hit of the day!  Totally worth the $3/child ride.  The smiles on their faces were priceless.  It was Amy's first pony ride ever-and she was giggling through it all.  And Adelynne was all smiles.  

Then of course we had to go and see the bugs at the bug "petting zoo."  Amy was not afraid to take this giant cockroach from the lady, but it startled her and she dropped it, and I of course screamed and jumped back as it came my direction.  Luckily it was not hurt, though Dustin reminds me how bad it would have been had I stepped on it.  But to show the girls how "brave" I am, I took a turn and let it sit in my hand.  
Amy enjoyed petting all the "bugs" she could.  This is a tobacco worm.  We of course saw many friends throughout the day, and we ended up hanging out with our good friend Sarah and her son Dylan for part of the day.  We went through the bug petting zoo together, so that's why he is a part of our pictures.  
The millipede:
Love this picture:
More cockroaches.  Amy, "Wow."
The tarantula.  The obvious disdain on Adelynne's face.  I don't think she touched any thing.


It was a great activity to spend half of our day doing.  When we were outside later in the day, Adelynne and Amy were fascinated with ants and ladybugs, or any other bugs they saw while we were outdoors.  The days earlier events must have had an impact on them.  Adelynne tells us that her favorite part of the day was the pony ride- what else?

6 comments:

Kayli said...

I totally saw you guys when you were at the very end of the insect petting zoo and we were at the very beginning. But I didn't yell all the way across the room, cause I figured we could just say hi tomorrow. :)

Amy said...

cute pictures sis! I think it's hilarious that Adelynne was so fearless about touching all those bugs a few years ago, and now seems to want nothing to do with them. glad the weather was good and you had fun! love you!

The Short Family said...

So I didn't even know Purdue did this. Cool! I will have to remember for next year. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I can't believe you held a cockroach!

Head 2005 Inc.! said...

How fun!! Your girls are Gorgeous!!!! You and Dustin look great!!! It's fun to hear about your families adventures!

love ya
Ange

Our Carlson Family said...

Yeah, I finally saw a picture of Tracy on here... I know, I know, it's normally you on the other side of the camera - somebody has to take the pictures! So fun though, it must be so nice to live in a place that does that kind of stuff for kids! Love you!

Unknown said...

my gosh, that looks like so much fun. Your kids are very cute.