Friday, April 10, 2009

Aladdin causes distress

First, some history: growing up I loved to watch a good "chick flick."  I loved the happy endings with the girl getting the amazing guy.  And my favorite part of the movie was the magical kiss to give it that perfect and necessary ending.  My mother will be my witness to this account, but the first time I ever watched Sleepless in Seattle, I was completely captivated until the very end, when the movie fades away into the night sky BEFORE you see Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan kiss.  I started yelling about how stupid the movie was because they didn't kiss.  My mom was in the other room and was quite startled by my shouts of disappointment and rage.  

Well, tonight I witnessed Adelynne do practically the same thing as I did those many years ago. We borrowed the movie Aladdin from our friends, and Adelynne was enjoying the movie      immensely.... until the end when Jasmine and Aladdin sing their reprise of "A Whole New World" as they fly off into the sky.  And then the credits begin and Adelynne began yelling, "They didn't get married!  Why didn't they get married?  I didn't see them get married, they're not married yet!  Why didn't they get married?"  Adelynne has quite recently become interested in the getting married process.  She notices wedding pictures at other people's homes and when the princess and prince get married at the end of a movie.  A while ago she had just finished watching "Ella Enchanted," and she went to her dress-up box and sat down and started pouting.  When I asked her what was wrong she told me that she didn't have a "married dress" to wear.  Ah, the troubles of a three-year-old going on 25 (that's how old she'll be when she gets married, right)?  

3 comments:

Kayli said...

That's too funny. But wouldn't it have been weird if Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan would have kissed at the end of that movie since they didn't even know each other really?

My pet peeve in chick flicks is when they fall in love without having ever TALKED or done ANYTHING together. I mean-- attraction at first sight is one thing, but when they're all ready to get married (or jump into bed with each other) is soooo annoying to me. I always say to Brett-- "They haven't even done anything fun together--how do they know if they enjoy each other?"

You oughta get a wedding dress for dress up for Adelynne. It would be fun.

p.s. 25--really?! ;)

p.s.s. THANKS AGAIN for watching the kids this morning--I am so grateful! If you ever need to run errands on this side of the world, feel absolutely free to drop of your girls here. Really.

The Short Family said...

I love this story. She is such a girl!!! I also agree with the above post. She seriously needs a wedding dress. :)

Shelly Beth said...

HA! We would hope they wait until 25, right?!? LOL, I guess only time will tell. Such a cute story. Those are the good stories to tell to your kids when they are a little older and embarrass them :)