-1 large box (or 2 small boxes) of French Vanilla instant pudding (name brand or generic work just fine. But make sure you get the FRENCH vanilla).
-1 regular size of cool whip (8oz)
-graham crackers (I would recommend buying a name brand-don't get a generic brand. You will use about 2/3 of the box)
-6 T of cocoa powder
-3 T butter (softened or melted)
-2 T vegetable oil
-3 Cups powdered sugar
-3+ Tablespoons very hot water (almost boiling or boiling water will work)
Directions:
In a 13x9 cake pan (I use a glass, but I'm not sure if it matters which kind you use), put one layer of graham crackers down. Mix pudding as directed on box, then mix in the cool whip. Then put half of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers that you put in the pan. Put another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture and then pour the remaining pudding mixture on top of the 2nd layer of graham crackers. Set aside. Put butter, oil, cocoa, and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix together. Then spoon in very hot water starting with 3 Tablespoons first. I usually add an additional 2 T to make the chocolate more thin. You want to be able to spread the chocolate over the pudding. So stir in the desired amount of hot water until its at the right consistency. You shouldn't need more than 5 or 6 Tablespoons total. Then spread your chocolate sauce over the pudding and graham crackers.
This dessert should sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours, so its best to make it the night before. My mother tells me you need to put saran wrap over the eclair as it sits in the fridge. You have to be careful not to let the plastic touch the chocolate because it will pull it right off the pudding. The last two times I have made this eclair, I skipped doing the saran wrap, and it didn't seem to make a difference. But I let it sit on the top shelf of my fridge. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope I wasn't too wordy or confusing.
ENJOY!
3 comments:
Ok - who did this recipe originate from? I have exactly the same one, which I got from my mom. Did it start with your mom? Or maybe Cathy Bearry? It is definitely a LOP ward favorite!
All I know is that people LOVE it! I thought my mom got it from my aunt, but I really have no idea. You're right, its probably an LOP thing.
mmmmmmmmm!!!!
Post a Comment