Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Giant Caterpillar by me

On our drive back from West Virginia, we made a pit stop at a gas station/convenience store.  One of those big convenience stores that have a gift shop inside filled with tons of junk that nobody really wants.  (Why?-who knows).  Well, the girls and I were wandering around looking at everything when we saw these giant toy caterpillars.  I actually was tempted to buy it because it just looked like fun, but I said to myself, "No way, that's a waste of money."  (It was priced somewhere around $16.99).  Then I had the brilliant idea that it would be a fun thing to make.  And then I shared my idea with Adelynne, hoping that she would help me keep my word.  Well I did.  And it was fun to make.  Adelynne helped pick out the colors at the fabric store, and then all of the pieces sat in a plastic bag.  Then, gratefully, my friends set up a craft night girls' night, which was the perfect opportunity for me to do some real work.  I made it in two days.  I really enjoyed making it and putting it all together, and Adelynne's love for her caterpillar has made it even more worth making.  The antennae even have wire inside them so that they can bend into different ways.  But ever since Adelynne has had her caterpillar she has slept through the night.  Before the caterpillar was around she kept waking up, multiple times during the night and telling us that she was scared.  But now she says that she has the caterpillar so she won't be scared.




The caterpillar is over 6 feet tall, and makes a very useful headrest on the back of our couch when its not being played with. I could have saved some money if I had just bought the one in the store, but I don't think I'd have as much satisfaction or joy. I'm now trying to figure out what my next project is going to be.

5 comments:

beSlightlyAskew said...

Anything that gets a child to sleep through the night is worth it's weight, or in this case, height in gold. Good job!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I totally want to make one now! It's adorable - good job!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I am going to make two for the girls. I have a ton of fabric so I am sure I can figure something out!

Christina said...

It turned out really good Tracy! She sure does look like she loves it! Good job. Get another craft ready for next craft night!

Kayli said...

It DID turn out awesome. Way to go! I love how bright he is. Cute cute cute.