We drove ALL day Saturday. 10 hours. It should not have taken us that long, but Dustin and I suffered from a little confusion on the directions. But we made it. It was after dark, so there was mild confusion from the girls, but we were still able to enjoy a campfire, cook some yummy hot dogs and s'mores of course!
Sunday morning was beautiful. We cooked up some tasty breakfast burritos and topped them off with some more s'mores. When there's a campfire going you've got to cook the marshmallows. Then we went for a nice long hike on one of the trails. Adelynne had to walk, so I didn't know how long we'd make it. But to my surprise she walked at least a good two miles of the trail on her own. I think she was excited about walking Darla (Lisa-Marie's dog). Amy rode along on Dustin's back, but she wasn't too happy about it. She actually wanted to do some walking herself. We let her walk for a while and explore the plants and dirt along the way. On our walk we saw a caterpillar, a box turtle, a butterfly-I think the same one followed us along the entire hike, and some horse-back riders. When we came to the clearings and saw the views, it seemed as if we were on some African safari. The green trees, the thick forestry, the lushness of it all was very picturesque. It seems that I sometimes forget that America is beautiful! There is so much to see hear in our own country, our own "backyard."
As we started back, Adelynne decided that she was done walking, so she mooched a ride off of daddy, mommy, and Steven. It actually made the walk back much quicker so that we weren't continuously encouraging Adelynne along. Amy fell asleep in the backpack on our way back.
When we got back to our tents we took a break and rested for a while, or at least I did. And as we were all getting ready for a swim in the river, it began to rain. It rained for probably half an hour and then stopped. So, there is one thing I dislike worse than dirt, and that is mud. Everything was muddy and soggy. But Dustin and I decided to take the girls to the river anyway. I figured, what did it matter? we were wet anyway. Our swim was more of a wade in the river, but it helped to pass the time. It wasn't long before it began to rain again. The rest of the day we spent in the tent or the car, waiting out the rain. Rain is wonderful until it ruins your camping trip. But we all stuck it out. We ended up driving to town and eating at a pizza place for dinner since we didn't want to cook in the rain and mud.
Monday morning was spent packing up our muddy wet things and then saying goodbye. I'm just disappointed that our camp out didn't end so well. But it did start out great with family and food. Although, with the lack of campfires, we still have lots of s'mores ingredients left, so if anyone is having a campfire nearby, let me know and I'll bring the goods!
5 comments:
This was so fun to read. You write so well that I felt like we were there with you. I love the pic of Amy asleep in the backpack...priceless! I remember when you and Dustin came camping with us up Provo Canyon and you had sword fights with Thomas while standing on rocks. The pictures are beautiful. I love camping and being outside like that. IT is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, family activity.
yes, the provo camping trip with you was our very first camp out as a married couple, and that was so much fun, and you guys took care of us so well. it is much more work when you have kids, but still fun.
I hope the long drive on the way there wasn't due to GPS troubles :( Looks like you had some good times. Seems like having a dog along when camping with kids is a good thing.
Thanks for posting about this Tracy -- I was wondering how your trip went -- and I didn't realize that you had driven such a long way!
How fun! What a beautiful place to go camping! Your girls are so adorable and it looks like you had such a great time!
Jodi :)
Post a Comment