Has anyone else endured a Family Home Evening Melt Down?
Monday, September 22, 2008
Family Home Fight
Who knew? Really, I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction for Family Home Evening for at least 10 more years. It was just one of those nights where you throw your hands up in the air and scream to the skies, "NEVER AGAIN!!" And then you also want to haul off and slap your child. I know, I know, not the best parenting. But don't deny it, you've wanted to do it too. I planned a very short, as usual, to the point Family Home Evening lesson about prophets. We were showing Adelynne pictures of Joseph Smith and encouraging her, with high fives and shouts of exclamation, when she would say his name. And then doing the same for our current prophet, Thomas S. Monson. Apparently she didn't want to be quizzed because she declared, "I don't want to say his name!" So we stopped quizzing and decided to end the lesson with a song. I had chosen "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet," but she didn't want to sing that song because she, "didn't like that song." From there it went even more down hill: continuous crying and tantrum throwing. (And yes, she did have a nap today). Bedtime arrived immediately following the prayer, which of course brought on more screams of protest. Most evenings this kind of charade would also throw me into a tantrum, but during the closing hymn, which I could not sing because I have no voice due to a cold, I closed my eyes, took some slow, deep breaths, and said a silent prayer in my heart. I didn't want to lose control. With help from on high, and my wonderful, supportive husband who took over immediately when the situation began and up until this very moment, I have stayed in control. So, although my plans for a quick, sweet Family Home Evening went down in flames, I still have not given up hope. I know, somehow, that Family Home Evening is an inspired program from God, and that by faithfully having it weekly, our families and homes will be blessed. AND I NEED THOSE BLESSINGS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah! I'm not the only one! I must say, tonight's FHE went better than usual, but your scenario sounds all too familliar! Keep it up! The blessings will come...eventually!
Oh dear, I hope she didn't learn this from Minnie. A couple of months ago we sat down to do a FHE and Minnie would not participate, wouldn't even sing which she normally likes. For the next several weeks when we would mention Family Home Evening, she would wail in protest, "I don't want to do family home evening." I don't think she liked us making her sit down and listen and look at the pictures, etc. She also wouldn't kneel during our family prayer for several months. Good luck!
THis just makes me laugh because I can't even tell you HOW many times I HAVE thrown up my arms and started crying right in front of the kids because of their rudeness while trying to give a short and inclusive lesson on something! Been there, done that, AND I'M STILL OKAY!aaaaahhhhhh!!! :)
Keep it up, but really, I don't know if it gets better or not! :)
Post a Comment