Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Adelynne's Birthday
It was Adelynne's 3rd Birthday all day yesterday, and we started celebrating right away. She put on a new outfit from Grandma Biggs and before Daddy went to school she got her first present; a new bed! Adelynne calls it "my big girl bed." Its actually just a toddler bed, but she's been sleeping on just a mattress for several months now, so having an actual frame for her bed is a pretty big deal. (FYI, I found it on Craig's List for $15.00 and when we got to the guy's house to pick it up, he was so nice and just gave it to us for free! Not bad for my first Craig's List experience). Anyway, she was pretty excited about it. I spent the rest of the morning rearranging the girls' room to try and make it fit in just the right place. Dustin went to school to teach his class, and by the time he got back Adelynne had put on a pink dress, changed back into the outfit from Grandma, and then changed into a completely different outfit. If you watch the slideshow you can see that Adelynne changed into another dress by the time our guests arrived for the celebrations. I don't normally let her change throughout the day, but since it was her birthday...
Dustin came home mid morning, so we got on web cam so that Grandma could see Adelynne open up the other gifts that she sent. Adelynne opened up five presents which included barbie dresses made by Grandma, stickers, and princess chalk, and two different leapfrog refrigerator magnet sets. Aunt Amy and Uncle Joe also sent Addie some new sheets to go with her bed. As I watched Adelynne open up these gifts one by one, I was worried that she wasn't very excited about them, but then I started to realize that it wasn't that Adelynne was unhappy with her gifts, it is just that she is a lot like her Dad. (For those of you who know Dustin, this will make a lot of sense). So watching Adelynne was very interesting. I kept waiting to see big smiles and some shouts of exclamation, but nothing. It was hard enough to catch a smile on camera. But after Adelynne was done opening her gifts she was eager to play with the new toys.
The rest of the afternoon I spent baking Adelynne's cake. It was time consuming because I had to place the dough in a special frame for each layer, and then just bake it one round at a time. My stove/oven is not a full size so in order to make sure that my cakes baked evenly, I only baked one layer at a time. I am no cake artist, but I enjoy decorating all the same. I really only go all out for birthdays, so I don't get much practice either. Of course I'm terrible at writing on cakes, and for some reason I thought I would write "Happy Birthday Adelynne" on her cake. The best part was cutting into the cake and seeing all of my hard work in the coolest checkerboard cake ever! And it tasted great too! Adelynne enjoyed everyone singing to her, actually she sang to herself too. I think it was a big deal for her to realize the entire day was just for her. Pizza seems to be the only dinner we don't have to bribe her to eat, so that's what we decided to do for her birthday dinner. With our friends the Aagard's and the Bench's we were a house full of little girls.
After dinner Adelynne opened up more presents from Dustin and I, and Amy too, and one from Minnie. She enjoyed them all. We ended the night with Adelynne's grand finale gift--her new pink bicycle, with a basket! Now for the bike we got a pretty good, split second, smile of excitement which you can catch on the video. And after all of her friends went home, Dustin took her outside to ride her new bike. All of the neighborhood kids commented on her new bike, which I think made her even more excited. I finally got her to come in right before 9pm and get ready for bed. She got to wear her new Little Mermaid nightgown that her Amy gave to her, and I got some pretty happy smiles from her on the camera. All in all, I think Adelynne had a pretty good birthday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a fun birthday. I love the cake. IT is so cute and I am so impressed that you did that! I am not one to make cakes and luckily my kids aren't too fond of them yet. If they saw this cake I am sure there would be requests and I would have to disappoint them! Thanks for sharing her special day with us.
Post a Comment