Tuesday, January 26, 2010

10

10 weeks. Today I finally made an effort to find an OB/GYN, since the one I had before moved out of state. I called one office and asked if they were accepting new patients. The woman on the phone said that they were and that the first available appointment was in March. I said, "That's not going to work for me, I am 10 weeks pregnant." Then she explained that my first visit would be with a nurse practitioner and her next available appointment would be on February 26th. FEBRUARY 26TH! WHAT!? Nope, that's not going to work for me either. So I said no thank you and made another phone call to another office that could get me in next week, and with the doctor that delivered Amy, because he was my doctor's partner and at the hospital that day she was born. Much better. What is it with OB/GYN offices? I've had problems like this before, where you need to see the doctor, but the next available appointments are months away. Its like you can only get in if you are pregnant, and then that's not even a guarantee.

Well, so far this pregnancy is okay. Just okay. I don't feel the greatest, but I don't feel awful either. I feel really blessed, actually. I have not thrown up at all, and only one strong wave of nausea. But I feel sick to my stomach nearly all day, food tastes weird at times, and I always have a terrible after taste no matter what I eat. Sweet foods really do not appeal to me, though sometimes my head is still telling me I want to eat it. I'm not motivated to do much else than just lay around on the couch, but I try to keep busy because it takes my mind off the yucky feelings in my stomach. I really am grateful that I'm not as sick as I was during my two other pregnancies. See, I have this problem: When I'm about to throw up and the nausea sweeps over me, I pass out. Its a condition called vasovagalsyncope. Whenever I feel nauseated I know its coming, it really freaks me out, and it also drains me physically. It happened several times when I was pregnant with Amy, and that's when I officially received my diagnosis. It also happens when I am not pregnant, during times of stomach flu sickness. So NOT fun. So yeah, I am very grateful I haven't been super sick. Maybe this will be the kind of pregnancy that I'm only sick during the first trimester! (Since my other two I was sick all the way through).


9 comments:

Alisha Erin said...

How did I miss your announcement before now?! Aaah! Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you!!

Stacey said...

Congratulations! Given how hard the other pregnancies were, I respect you a ton for being willing to go through it a third time! When I was pregnant with Trevor, each afternoon I would crash on the couch while Charlotte took a nap and Scott played Wii. That is how I survived... I hope your energy comes back soon!

Shelly Beth said...

Hm, maybe it is a boy this time around? What a scary thing to have to go through while being pregnant, especially with other kids to care for! I really hope you start feeling better soon. I think I started the "up hill" at about 13 weeks. I love reading about pregnancy updates. I did them ALL the time when pregnant with Aubree; I don't really think people wanted to hear from me that often, but I wanted to write everything down as a refernce for posterity. I figure when my girls are pregnant they will want to know what I went through. Anyways, I enjoy updates, so keep them coming! Congrats to you again :)

Julia and Aaron said...

I hear you on the not being able to find a good OB/GYN. I had some issues awhile back and had the toughest time getting in. It's a little crazy. Thank goodness for PUSH. Who did you have Amy with?

I'm sorry to hear about your fainting spells but glad you haven't had to deal with that so far. Hopefully this will be an uneventful pregnancy!

The Short Family said...

Congrats on 10 weeks. You are 1/4 of the way there! Hopefully all continues to go well. Pregnancy problems are no fun at all.

MarySquare said...

I had the bad taste in mouth too with Eddie. The sick stomach and the nasty taste were constants and I hated it. But hooray for no puking!

kimi + joe said...

Hi Tracy,

I found your blog via Michelle's and what a treat to find. Your family is growing and it's so wonderful to see all the great things you've been doing. Congrats on your upcoming arrival and a belated birthday greeting. My 27th is coming up on February 5th. Wow, time flies!

Take Care,
Kim (Mihlfeith) Breault

Steoger Fam said...

wow! congrats! soo exciting! that's so nice you're not so sick this time. i too had the pukes, they lasted almost 8 months. i'm hoping #3 will be a little easier on me.

Josh said...

uh. tracy. yeah. we too much information here. suck it up and quit whining. you did this to yourself.

hah. j/k. (just wanted to give you some encouraging words i have shared with sarah to help her through these last nine months)