Saturday, March 14, 2009

Milestones captured in silent pictures

Just before going to bed Amy stripped off her pajamas, and came to me saying, "potty, potty."  Now, Amy has sat on the potty plenty of times, but has never actually gone potty.  But I like to indulge her in this practice as often as possible for obvious reasons.  So I asked her if she wanted to go potty, and she said, "yesh."  So I took off her diaper and off she ran to the bathroom.  I followed closely behind her, and when she got to the bathroom she went straight to the toilet instead of the little potty chair.  She opened the toilet lid and said, "big potty."  So I put the child sized toilet seat on top of the toilet and sat her on it.  She wasn't there more than 5 seconds before she started saying, "all done," and grunting and pointing towards the toilet paper while saying "self, self!"  I told her she couldn't have any paper unless she went pee pee.  So I thought she'd get off the toilet or just protest my statement, but instead she sat there and within another 20 seconds or so, I hear little tinkling in the toilet!  I couldn't believe it!  I started cheering for her and she got so excited.  Then she proclaimed she was done and asked for the toilet paper again, which of course I gave her without hesitation.  Then she continued sitting and I asked her if she was done.  She said no and continued sitting.  I just thought she was delaying bed time, but I continued to indulge her anyway.  After a minute or so, she started saying, "squeeze, squeeze," and sucking in her tummy.  This is what Dustin and I do to help show her how to go on the potty.  Then, to my complete surprise, I could hear poopy sounds!  I am so happy and surprised.  Amy did her duty and was quite proud of herself.  In the meantime, I started snapping pictures of Amy's triumphant moments, and each time I turned off the camera, Amy would say, "more pictures."  So I ended up with more pictures of her on the toilet than anyone would care to see, but she was hilarious.  I have no idea what she was saying, but she was "talking" to me about who knows what.  Well, thanks for enduring the potty talk! 

This kid is hilarious!

7 comments:

Bobette said...

Way to go Amy! That's great Tracy. Hopefully she'll just want to be potty trained all the time now. The pictures of her are darling. Let's get together soon and make bows. Let me know when a good time for you is.

beSlightlyAskew said...

Sweet! I hope she keeps it up!

Our Biggs Family said...

That is awesome! I hope she continues for you. What a determined little girl!

kristine N said...

Congrats to you both--that's a great milestone!

Amy said...

she is quite the ham! wow! I was laughing so hard. horray for potty time. have a great week! love you!

Anonymous said...

Hello friend!!! Just last Thursday I was thinking about you and wishing you and your girls were coming over to make bread and chat. I miss you! I spent way too much time reading your blog this afternoon, and I am in love with your cute girls! Congrats to Dustin passing his test, to Amy for figuring the potty out, to Adelynne for getting a haircut, and to you for keeping track of it all! I wish we lived closer...

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a trooper! Sounds like she actually understands what the potty is all about. She is pretty hilarious, isn't she? We miss you guys already...even thought you're still quite close. When you coming to visit?