I can't believe we have reached this stage in our lives now! We will be moving to the Chicago area this summer!! Dustin has accepted a post-doc position at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. It is a one year position with possibility of extending up to three years. It is also a lectureship, which means the position will focus on teaching (as opposed to research), which is what Dustin prefers. He loves teaching, and doesn't love research so much, so when he was offered this lectureship he was very excited (as excited as Dustin can be). This all happened so fast. Dustin received an email letting him know that he would receive an offer from Northwestern soon. A week later, Dustin received the offer, with ONE week to accept or reject the offer. The deadline was today, and after much thought and prayer (hopefully enough of it), Dustin decided to accept the offer. He had not received any other offers, although he did have a job interview with BYU a few weeks ago and he was still being considered for that position. However, Dustin much preferred the position at Northwestern. It has all been quite stressful, especially for Dustin since up until Tuesday of this week, he still did not know if he would be able to graduate this May as he had originally planned. (Although now, he is kind of wishing he had planned for an August graduation so that he would have work through the summer). In January, Dustin received news that there was a mistake with his dissertation, and it wasn't an easy fix. It took him about 3 weeks to figure out a solution, and when he submitted that to his professor, it turned out that fixing that mistake had snowballed causing other problems that needed fixing. Daily Dustin would return home declaring that he didn't know if he could fix the problems. He started feeling like his reputation as a mathematician was depreciating, and that his advisor and other professors were thinking less of him and his abilities. It has been a very difficult few months watching Dustin stress and worry over something that I cannot even pretend to comprehend. I had no way to help Dustin, and beyond worrying for Dustin and his stress levels, I was starting to worry a little that he wouldn't graduate as well, and we might be in school for one more year. But it seems as though the Lord has answered our prayers and things are turning out fine! I know the Lord has helped Dustin and guided us along, and is continuing to do so. I am feeling very blessed!
So while Dustin works tirelessly on finishing up his dissertation and preparing for his defense (on April 17th), I am looking and praying for us to find a place to live in the Chicago areas. Dustin and I discussed what our finances will be with the income he is to receive, (which isn't much for a family of 5 to live on in an EXPENSIVE city, especially since we are used to living in a lower cost of living area). I am VERY nervous. I'm worried that my expectations are too high. I really want a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house/condo/townhouse, or something of that nature. The price range for these types of homes is around $1900/month, not including utilities! That is nearly half our monthly income. I started thinking of scaling down my expectation, but I am worried that places that are 2 bedroom just won't allow a family of 5. I also don't want Dustin to have too much of a commute. Sigh. Att the moment I just don't know when we will move out there. We don't have work for the summer and we need to save quite a bit more money than what we have saved. I'm aware that this is nothing new in life, but it is new for my life. I also have to consider what schools that BOTH of my daughters will attend. (I am still in disbelief that Amy is going to be in Kindergarten).
Oh, it is all so exciting and terrifying!!
Dustin and I are a little sad that we aren't going to be much closer to our families in the West, but, I am excited that we will be close to West Lafayette. We can come for a visit to see our friends that are here, and when they come to Chicago they can come and see us! One of the reasons we want a 2 full-bathroom place is to accommodate overnight guests. (Our hope is that friends will like to come and stay the night-- if they are coming to attend the Chicago temple-- or any other reason), and having 2 bathrooms will be much more comfortable for all. I want to more comfortably be able to host family and friends. (And if you are familiar with my current residence you can understand the reasons for my desires).
Sigh.
Smile.
Life is good.
I am blessed.
7 comments:
Congrats! I am sooo excited for you family. I am also glad that you will be so close!
We are having the same feelings about housing. I would LOVE a 3 bedroom home... but the price jumps so much! We are hoping to fit in our 2 bedroom for awhile longer just to save on rent. We make it work, but sometimes it is hard. Good luck figuring it out, I am sure you will find a place that will work for you.
Good luck to Dustin with all he has left to do. School is tough, but it is so nice when there is an end in sight. He will do great!
Wow, congrats to Dustin and your family on the job offer! What a blessing in this tough economy. Good luck in finding a place. The Lord has His way of always guiding us to the right place.
Something I've definitely learned over the last few months/years is even when a solution to a problem doesn't seem possible, the Lord will bless you and a solution will come, even if it does seem a little last minute. :) I'm so excited for your next step, I think you'll find it quite an amazing adventure! Miss you!
Yay! So happy for you both. The first thought when I heard this was how cool it must be to be so close to a temple again! Good luck with all your arrangements for the summer. Big changes like this never seem to get any easier...but our ability paired with the Lord increases. You will find answers and you will continue to blessed. You are so positive about it!
Congratulations!!! Working for Northwestern will be a fantastic opportunity. And I'm sure you'll have a blast in Chicago. Best of luck with the move & transition!
Congratulations and best of luck!!! What an exciting and terrifying time!! I hope you're able to find something that fits your needs!!
Very exciting time! You may want to contact Jordan (from BYU) as I know she lives near Chicago and might be able to offer some housing guidance. I lived in Arlington Heights (suburb of Chicago) for a summer internship and really loved it. Good luck!
Post a Comment