Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Happenings

Today I woke up and my apartment was freezing. Socks were a necessary requirement because the floors were like ice. At one point this morning I was walking into the bathroom thinking it will be warm in there (because the heater can actually heat that little room that has no windows). I walked in the bathroom and was a little surprised to find that it wasn't so warm. And it wasn't until my bottom touched the toilet seat that I realized it really wasn't warm in the bathroom. (I might be investing in heated toilet seats some day). So then I touched the heater and it was cold. Hmmm. No heat. Then I went around the rest of the apartment touching the heaters, they all were cold. No wonder it was so cold in my apartment!! Since I can't control the thermostat to my apartment, but I can turn on the oven and run it for as long as I want without it changing my monthly rent, I decided to bake. I baked some valentine cupcakes. They turned out really cute. I think I was inspired from my late night watching of "Cupcake Wars." (I find Food Network to be fascinating, now that we get it with our free cable package).
(This is a picture from my phone and the lighting is not so good. The frosting is pink).
They were quite tasty even though they came from a packaged mix. Although I sure would love to eat a cupcake from one of those fancy cupcake stores.

Amy has been very sick since Thursday. She started having fevers at 4am on Thursday morning and I decided to take her to the doctor since all three of my girls have had a cold for a couple of weeks. At the doctor's office, Amy's temperature was at 104.3, she was on fire. They ran a couple of tests and she came back positive for "Influenza B." (This is apparently the strain of flu that people have been vaccinated for this year, but only about 75% of people are being protected against this strain of the flu virus regardless of being vaccinated. Never mind the fact that Dustin and I decided not to do the flu vaccine for our family this year). So Amy was sent home with a prescription for Tamiflu. She's been on it for 5 days, today is her last day, and as I sit here typing, I can hear all too well, Amy and Adelynne playing so happily in their room when they should be going to bed. Finally! Amy has been so pathetic and dramatic these 5 days. She's had constant fevers that have made her eyes permanently puffy. I know her body must ache and hurt so badly. This morning when she was starting to fever I told her I would get her some medicine, and she just started wailing, "You always give me medicine!" Since she has this terrible cough her voice is raspy and sad so when she's crying (or screaming) it is hard to understand her. When I ask her to repeat what she says she just screams at me louder. She has been excessively emotional as well. Even the smallest bumps and stubs have made her bawl. I've held her as much as I could and reassured her over and over that she would get better soon. Today was the hardest day for her because she couldn't go to her preschool Valentine's Day party. Her little lip just stuck out and her eyes got all big and watery, and the tears just started streaming down her cheeks. It was even worse when she couldn't go to her dance class this evening. It is so awful to see her suffering. But I think tomorrow she will be feeling so much better. Aurora on the other hand.... has a fever.... right now.




7 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Same thing happened to us - only I was included in the mix! Of course it happens the year we DON'T vaccinate either! C.C. ended up not being able to keep the Tamaflu down - she'd throw it up right away (must be alergic) So we had to ride it our. I REALLY REALLY hope Aurora doesn't have it! That would be just AWFUL! I'll say a little prayer for her. I hope you all get better soon - I need you there on Wednesdays as my workout buddy!!

Our Biggs Family said...

No fun to have sick kids. I sure hope Aurora doesn't have the same thing. It is so refreshing to hear them playing again after having been so sick. I can't imagine a cold house...good luck! It's bad enough when you go outside in the cold let alone to not get warm inside from it. With the ice storms and below zero temps we had the last couple weeks we have gained a newfound appreciation for what winter really means! I love your cupcakes. Thomas and Spring LOVE the food network. They think it is such a treat to be able to stay up later on Friday night to watch food network with us. It is their favorite channel.

kimi + joe said...

Sorry about the sickies. I'm totally with you on the heated toilet seat and Food Network. Food Network is one of my favorites but I have yet to make anything from it. Glad you're more productive :)

MarySquare said...

Missing special days is no fun.

I'm sending good vibes your way.

gpbiggs said...

Tell Amy grandma is so sorry she had to miss special activities yesterday. Hopefully Aurora only has a fever because she has decided it is time for teeth. We're sending prayers your way, plus lots of love. mom

Jennifer said...

Cupcakes are adorable! Hope everyone is feeling better. I'll need throne warmers too :-)

kristine N said...

Oh man, that's no fun, especially on Valentine's day. Hope your kids get better soon--and you and Dustin avoid the flu!