Friday, October 22, 2010

October 12, 2010

Dustin had fall break on October 11th and 12th, so we went to Chicago and went here:
We drove up Monday night and stayed in a hotel. Dustin got up early and went to the temple, and then he came back we all drove over to the temple. I went in and did some work while Dustin stayed with the girls and walked around the temple. As I walked in the temple, it was hard to believe I hadn't been for about a year. I immediately felt peace from the Holy Spirit and I knew I was in the House of God. I am so grateful for that peace I felt and I am anxious to feel it again. I hope Dustin and I can go back next month, instead of next year. When I finished the temple work I went outside to find my family. And this was where I found them:

Beautiful girl:

Sleeping away, what an angel.

This I love, love, love:
We love to see the temple! We are so grateful for our family that will be together forever because of the covenants we have made in the temple, and for our Savior that makes all things possible.

After the temple we drove into the city and went here:
The Rainforest Cafe!

We ate this yummy "Volcano" cake:


And took pictures by the waterfall: (Amy was too busy to get in the picture)

Need I explain more?

The aquarium gateway was awesome! Lots of beautiful fish:

These last two pictures are of a fish that literally swam past the baby and then backed up and stared at Aurora for a couple of minutes before it got scared and swam away. It was really fascinating how entranced it was with Aurora.


So I totally recommend taking your kids to the rainforest cafe if you go to downtown Chicago. There is also a gift shop with plenty of overpriced toys and things, but still fun anyway. However, I recommend that you go only for dessert. The entrées run around $20 each, so the bill adds up quickly! The volcano cake was delicious. It was slices of fabulous brownie-cake stacked over ice cream and had the most delicious cream (I've ever had), on top drizzled with chocolate and caramel. And then they put a sparkler in it. There was plenty for our family, probably could have shared it happily with another adult. It was worth the $14 that it cost. Despite the high cost, the atmosphere was a lot of fun.

When we began our drive to Chicago we took highway 43 to the 65. The 65 is the main highway you take to get to Chicago from here. The drive on the 43 is about 5 miles before you get to the 65. We didn't even make it to the 65 before Adelynne started asking "Are we there yet?" Dustin and I chuckled and told her we had a long way to go. Its about a 3 hour drive. She asked us if it was longer than Indianapolis? (The drive to Indi is 1 hour). We told her yes. She asked is it longer than to Grandma's house. We told her no (Grandma lives a 3 day drive from us). We told her we would get there when it was dark. Then she was quiet for a few minutes. And then she asked, "How far are we?" "Is it very long yet?" "When will we get there?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we far away from home?" "Are we close to Chicago?" etc. Pretty much any way she could ask, "Are we there yet?" she asked. When we convinced her to quit asking us if we had arrived, she began asking us other questions like, "What is that?" Why does this do that?" "What makes this?" and on and on. It sure is fun to see her mind learning and growing BUT I can only take so many questions in so many minutes. When did my 5 year-old go from cute to annoying?! Seriously. I guess we have reached a new point in the life of a 5-year-old. But I love it. Seriously.

4 comments:

kimi + joe said...

Hehe, I love your last paragraph. It reminds me of the airline attendant who said, "is that the adult way of asking 'are we there yet?'" when I asked how much longer the flight was. I guess you never out grow some things :)

Kimberlee said...

What a fun little family getaway! I feel like you do, we definitely need to get the the temple soon. Such cute girls you have, even when they're annoying...at least that's what I try and tell myself when Molly starts in on the endless questions. It's like they do it on purpose or something...

Christi said...

I LOVE all the pictures but especially the one of Amy and Addy at the temple and the one of Rory sleeping in the stroller. SO cute!! Love reading about your adventure! It takes a huge effort to go to the temple but it is always worth it. We'll have to go together sometime!!

P.S Where are you in these pictures??

Annelise said...

oh rainforest cafe is so fun! i used to go with friends in highschool and have wanted one close by to take the boys. i had no idea it got so expensive!! anyway, your little girlies are beyond adorable! :)