Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A week of Halloween

Finally, here are all of the activities and pictures from the week of Halloween. We started the Halloween festivities on October 25th. First we went to Border's Book Store where they were having a little Halloween activity for children. The girls got some candy and then got to listen to some Halloween stories. I had just finished the girls' costumes the night before and I was very pleased with the outcome. So I was determined to let the girls take every advantage of wearing them-and they did!

Friday night I put Adelynne's hair in curlers so that she could be a curly-haired witch. Now, you should know that when we asked Adelynne what she wanted to be for Halloween, she would say, "A witch!" And I would ask her if she wanted to be a scary witch or a nice witch. She would say "A nice witch." I figured that having curly hair would accentuate the idea of her being a nice witch. Unfortunately, I did not wash her hair before putting the curlers in, and the curls just didn't stay in her hair. She turned out to be a nice, cute witch anyway. And Amy was an adorable black cat-which I thought made a cute accessory for the witch.

Saturday October, 25th


Sunday night we carved pumpkins, and this year I bought the stencil kit so I could carve a fancy one. As I was carving the top off, I was talking up to Adelynne how cool the inside of the pumpkin was going to be. When the top came off, she was not convinced. Adelynne refused to touch any of it, but Amy put her arm in the pumpkin, as you can see. It was funny to see the girls' personalities come out so differently through carving pumpkins.



Monday afternoon the girls and I decorated some sugar cookies. If I had anticipated all of the cookie decorating we would encounter throughout the week, I would have left this activity out of our day, but nevertheless, we decorated cookies and had fun. Adelynne would have filled her cookie with the pumpkin candies if she could have, but I convinced her that two was plenty.


Monday October, 27th: Trick-or-Treating
Yes, on Monday we started trick-or treating. Living in a college town is great for Halloween. The college students love to have the little children come to their dorms, and that's what we did. A set of girls' dorms hosted a halloween party and trick-or-treating. At the party, Adelynne had a spider painted on her cheek, and the girls decorated cookies. And then Amy colored a pumpkin, Adelynne played, "Put the nose on the pumpkin." Adelynne is really good at cheating at these types of games. And then Adelynne played in a game of "musical chairs." She only lasted two rounds before she was out. Then we headed down the halls for some trick-or-treating. The girls were so cute, Amy was practically running down the hallway from door to door. And Adelynne sweetly said, "Trick-or-treat," and "Thank you," at every door. I love it when the students would let out coos and awws when they saw the girls, and we heard lots of them.


Tuesday was the only day of the week that the girls didn't put on their costumes. But on Wednesday I took the girls to a halloween story time at the Lafayette Library. Sorry, no pictures.

Wednesday night we went to a local church: The Calvary Baptist Church (yes, the Mormons crashed the Baptist's party), for some Halloween carnival fun and trunk-or-treating. The girls enjoyed playing the games and getting more candy. I don't think we'll go back next year because it was really crowded, but we enjoyed it. Dustin and I have just been very ambitious and excited to do all the Halloween activities we could find. Sorry, no pictures.

On Thursday we did more trick-or-treating at the dorms. The first building we went to the girls buckets were over-flowing with goodies. Then we went to a second building, (and we had emptied the buckets), the girls filled their buckets up half-way. The difference in the filling of the buckets was the gender of the students. More female students participate in giving out candy, than the male students do, so naturally Adelynne and Amy received more candy from the female students. But after going to the boys' dorms we went home and counted up the loot. Sorry, no pictures again.

Friday October, 31st: The real trick-or-treating
Adelynne and I made and decorated a cake for Daddy. We just needed another excuse to eat sugar at our house. (Okay, not really). It was a dark chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting-who can resist that? Dustin enjoyed it immensely.

Friday night we started at the Purdue Village Halloween Activity, which wasn't much more than cookie decorating and coloring. We were there long enough for the girls to eat a cookie or two, and then we headed to our church for a costume parade and trunk-or-treating. The girls enjoyed walking around the gym and then they sat very well together with all of the other kids. After the trunk-or-treating I thought we could stop by a few houses so Adelynne could do the real thing. I was thinking we would stop by a friends house, but they weren't home. Adelynne was a little confused and kept asking to go in to someone's house, so I thought we should go to our friend's house, the Everett's. When we got there, Adelynne got to play with her friend Lizzy. This was her favorite part of the night. We visited with our friends for over an hour, and it was hard to pull Adelynne away, but Amy was so tired and crying over everything that we knew we had to go. Dustin and I had certainly had our fill of Halloween. And now we've got the candy to prove it. The girls each have a 1 gallon ice cream bucket full of candy, and then Dustin and I have a 1 gallon freezer bag full of our "taxed" candy. We'll see how long it lasts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the costumes look great sis! and I love the pumpkins. You did awesome with the carving.
I'm having a grand ole time at work today, doing practically nothing that is work related. gotta love it. at least there are no bosses around to tell me no.
anyway, hope you're having a fun week. it's snowing here. I almost slipped coming back from lunch...but didn't. still vertical! love you!
-amy

Our Biggs Family said...

WOW!!! You needed all that candy and sugar for energy to do all that you did that week! Your girls are adorable. You did an amazing job on their costumes.

Anonymous said...

Cute cute costumes! What a FUN week !