Adelynne started 1st grade on August 16th. Her teacher is Tammy Younts, and Adelynne really likes her, and is loving her classroom. I feel really blessed that Adelynne got the teacher that she did. I don't know any of the teachers at her school, and I wasn't really worried about who she would get. Her kindergarten teacher felt that Adelynne would do well with any of the teachers, but still gave us names of several teachers that she thought to recommend. But I didn't make any requests, and from what I have heard from others, Adelynne has found the treasure of first grade teachers! There are only two or three kids in her class that Adelynne had in her K class, but she is making friends with those around her. The first two weeks were a little difficult for her. When I asked her about her day she told me that no one would play with her and when she asked if she could play with other kids they told her to go away. My heart just broke for her tender spirit. (And yes I cried). I just couldn't believe that other kids wouldn't want to be her friend. After our prayers and prayers from many friends (thank you!), Adelynne found a friend. And then she found another and another friend. And now she talks about all of the kids she plays with. Actually this week, a new girl joined her class, and Adelynne just couldn't stop talking about having a new girl coming to her class. She was so excited for another new friend. Her challenges have been a great opportunity to teach her how important it is to treat other's kindly no matter how you are treated. Adelynne is really enjoying 1st grade. She loves to read, and she has been proudly telling anyone that is interested, or even if they are not, that she reads chapter books. She received two chapter books for her 6th birthday, and has been collecting more of them since. When she walks home from the bus, she is always reading one of her chapter books. I love seeing her enthusiasm for reading. She really does read very well, but we are working on better comprehension and retention. But I know it will come over time. All of her quizzes and tests she has done so far, she has received 100%s on. I realized the other day that she wrote her full name on her quizzes. I had not noticed right the first time looking at them because her middle name was not written correctly. But when I was showing my parents (via ichat), I laughed out loud at what she had written. This is what I saw she had written: "Adelynne I-ring Belt" Adelynne's middle name is "Irene." I love how she thought it was spelled by what it sounded like!

So grown up, so smart, so beautiful!

Waiting for Adelynne to catch the bus. She is the minority at her stop of 7-8 kids. Almost all of them are from Asian countries, and 1 or 2 of them from the middle east. I love the diversity we are surrounded by, but I do wish I could talk with the moms more.

Getting on the bus! Adelynne mostly loves riding the bus. Socializing is one of her favorite parts of her day.

3 comments:
I love your mode of transportation en route to the bus stop -- such a cute photo. Sure was a big day for your little lady! It's fun that socializing is one of her favorite parts of the day, sure sounds like her mom :)
So glad she got the friends thing figured out. That can be tough.
LOVE the picture of the three girls and the wagon. SO cute!
Post a Comment