Monday, November 16, 2009

What not to eat

After dropping Adelynne off at preschool this afternoon, Amy and I enjoyed a leisure walk back to the apartment. Along the way, we came across a frog. I pointed it out to Amy, and she was quite fascinated by seeing the frog. She began to shout at it, "Say ribbit! Say ribbit!" And then without any notice she says, "I step on it," and her foot began to squish into it. But before she could harm it, I screamed at her to not step on it. I told her, "Don't step on the frog! We don't step on frogs." (I think in her mind the frog was like a big bug that she could just step on). So, Amy proceeded to yell at the frog, "Say ribbit! Say ribbit!" And then as the frog hopped off into the grass, and Amy and I continued on our walk, Amy looked up at me and asked, "We no step on frogs?" I replied, "No, we don't step on frogs." And then she asked, "We no eat frogs either?"

No, Amy, we don't eat frogs.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Actually, we do eat frogs. Ever tried frog legs? I'm not saying they're tasty, but yeah, we eat frogs. It was probably wise to keep that secret from your daughter though :)

gpbiggs said...

The girls are sure coming up with cute observations. I am so glad you are blogging this for all of us to enjoy and for memories for them later.
love you mom

Amy said...

well, at least she's learning. oh, the discoveries of toddlers! love you!

The Short Family said...

It was an important thing for her to learn. What a cute story!

Christina Allen said...

Funniest thing I've read all day! How did she make the mental leap from not harming frogs to not EATING them?!?

Two Cent Sparrow said...

Frog legs taste awful - so definitely best to tell her that we don't eat frogs! I am looking forward to Landon talking b/c these little ones just say the funniest things.

LOVE the blog header by the way. What a great photo!

kristine N said...

That is too funny!