Friday, December 14, 2012

Progress Report Comment Sheets

These are the comments from Adelynne's and Amy's teachers.
Adelynne's teacher says:
"Addy consistently demonstrates respectful and appropriate behavior at school. Her respect for our classroom and school-wide rules maker her an excellent role model for her classmates. Addy continues to exhibit a good level of comprehension with fiction and nonfiction texts. She is currently reading at grade level. She makes logical predictions, connections, and inferences. She has also strengthened her ability to summarize fiction text by focusing on the important characters, events, and details. Addy has worked to increase her fluency and expand her vocabulary. Addy is beginning to build a foundation in writing. She thoughtfully implements new literary devices and revision ideas. She has also learned how to expand a small moment by adding details and description. Addy continues to strengthen her mathematical skills and understanding. She is increasing her number sense and strengthened her ability to add and subtract tens. Addy is ready to work towards automaticity with her addition and subtraction facts in the next term. She has participated in social studies and science with energy and persistence. Addy can identify and describe different kinds of communities. She has also explored the properties of rocks, how they change over time, and how they are used to meet our needs."

Amy's teacher says:
"Amy is an absolute pleasure to have in class! She comes to school each day excited and eager to learn, and she is always respectful to her teachers and peers. Amy is a cheerful and cooperative member of our class, and she is a positive role model for her fellow students. During whole group and small group lessons, she is an attentive listener, and while working, she always puts forth her best effort. Amy takes pride in her work and it shows!
  Academically, Amy is meeting and/or exceeding all of the grade level standards, which is great! She knows all of the upper and lowercase letters, as well as their sounds, and this surpasses the expectations. She also knows all of the high-frequency words we have learned so far. Amy loves reading books by herself and with her friends, and she is currently working on decoding words. While writing, she uses her knowledge of letter sounds to record multiple sounds per word. In math, Amy can count to 110 and she can read and write numbers 0-100. She is starting to solve oral addition and subtraction number stories as well. Overall, Amy is off to a wonderful start in Kindergarten, and I know she will continue to shine!"

I am very proud of both of my girls. They both have and exemplify excellent character and values, and that far exceeds their academic levels in my book. But I am also grateful that both of my girls are doing well academically. If you read my last post you will probably be able to get a feel for how Adelynne's teacher is just by reading her comments about Addy. I just feel like Addy's teacher's comments are so business like and have no emotion. At least they're nice comments.

And this is a off subject, but today there was an awful shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. 20 children and 6 teachers/adults were killed. This news has been so heart wrenching for me today. I am aching and mourning for the families that have lost their precious children; that were not able to welcome their kids home from school today. I cannot begin to comprehend the heartbreak these parents and families are beginning to deal with. I cannot imagine the terror, the emptiness, the darkness they are feeling. I do know that I am grateful for my faith in Jesus Christ who loves us all and can heal all wounds. I hope those that are aching for their children will come to feel the hope in Christ in their darkest moments.

1 comment:

Our Biggs Family said...

What wonderful girls you have! I, with you, love the comments from the report cards much more than the actual grades themselves. It is important for them to learn but so much more important to be good, respectful, wonderful people. It is fun to read through the comments about your girls. A testament to you and Dustin as great parents.