Tuesday night Dustin and I went to bed and were trying to get to sleep, but Dustin was feeling some pain in his side. He would get up go to the bathroom and come back to bed. Then do it again, and each time he came back to bed he was in more pain. He was becoming more vocal about the pain he was in. Finally I got up to be with him and I found him hugging the toilet. Then he started vomiting. But the vomiting brought no relief from the pain. I was starting to get more and more worried. After throwing up he started pacing the length of the house faster and faster. And then he said that he thought I should take him to the doctor, and I asked, "Now?" And he said yes. I was ready to panic at this point, but I remained as calm as I could be for his sake. I called a home teacher but he didn't answer, (it was 11:30 at night), so I texted him so he would know it was me trying to call. But I was still trying to hurry, so I called the other home teacher. He answered his phone and said he could come in a few minutes. I don't know how far away he lives, but he came 30 minutes later (a very long 30 minutes later). Dustin was getting light headed, he could be still. His pain was awful. The first home teacher called me back and asked what was going on and as I told him my emotions got the better of me and I began crying. He offered any help we needed, but there was nothing else at the moment. As soon as our home teacher arrived Dustin and I got in the van and I drove him to the emergency room. Just before arriving at the hospital I had the impression that Dustin had a kidney stone. Up to this point I had no idea what was going on and I was very scared. But as soon as I had that impression, my fears settled down. But poor Dustin was hurting so badly. When he got admitted into the Emergency Room, the nurses immediately told him he would have to calm down his breathing. Dustin was hyperventilating so badly. The doctor came in and after a quick examination told us that Dustin had a kidney stone. So as soon as Dustin calmed his breathing a little the nurses were able to give him an IV and get his pain medications started. It still took nearly an hour for Dustin to be without severe pain. During which his hyperventilating reached a high when he could no longer feel his hand and his fingers were cramped and purple. Dustin was so pale too. The worst was over after about an hour and a half. But the nurse came back and told us that Dustin's potassium levels were alarmingly low and that he would need some potassium supplements. The early morning hours were slipping away and after more pain meds and a cat scan the doctor decided to admit Dustin into the general hospital for monitoring. Dustin really was ready to go home when his pain was gone, but he reluctantly stayed. And then he stayed all the next day until a little after 3 they said he could go home. Thankfully, Dustin had a quick recovery and is back to life as normal. I am so grateful for the help we received from our church family, especially our home teachers and visiting teachers. We hardly know them, really, but they came to our rescue and helped out so much. And then we had many offers of help from other ward members. I feel so blessed to have a ward family that is willing and able to help us in our time of need. Our home teacher came to our home and stayed with the girls during the night. He left his wife and infant son at home to come and "watch" our girls. Another friend came and took Aurora on Wednesday morning for a couple of hours so I could get a nap. My visiting teacher brought us dinner and took my load of towels home to wash for me. Tonight she brought them back so nicely folded. My other visiting teacher took Aurora for me this afternoon so I could get the rest of my laundry washed at the laundromat (we don't have a w/d or hookups in our house). That was very nice because I was still tired and I could get the laundry done more efficiently. I've received emails and notices and a few phone calls and I'm so grateful to have the prayers and positive thoughts on Dustin's behalf. I feel so blessed.
5 comments:
Kidney stones are incredibly painful. I can imagine how scary that would have been for you, but you handled it like a pro! So glad you're being well taken care of, and that Dustin is feeling better.
How scary! But I'm glad that you are all doing okay and that The Lord comforted you in time of need! Get some rest when you can!
Geez sorry to hear! I'm glad he's feeling better now!
I'm so glad you had wonderful people around to help,out!
Wow, Tracy - sounds like a huge ordeal. Poor Dustin to have to go through that pain and how awful not to know what was going on. Glad you had that impression so you could feel calm. Glad the ward family is so supportive too!
Post a Comment