Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First Day of School

The girls did not start school until September 4th, the day after we returned from our trip. Both Adelynne and Amy were excited and scared to go to a new school.

Here they are ready for their first day, and Amy's being a goof. Grandma Biggs made them their dresses.


Sweet girls

My beautiful 2nd grader! Just so hard to believe, I still catch myself saying she's in 1st grade.

KINDERGARTEN! (?) How did that happen?! She is in full day too because that is all they have at their school. At first I was very nervous about full day, but I think its been great for Amy. The first few days were a little challenging for Amy though. She would ask if she could come home and have lunch, or if she had to go to school the next day. But by the start of the 2nd week she didn't look back. She loves her teacher and has made lots of friends. Her favorite friend is a little girl named Irene. And there is a boy named Andrew that she has a little crush on, and he seems to have one on her too. He drew her a picture and wrote a note that says  "Andrew loves Amy." When I asked Amy about it, she told me that he is nice and she likes his hair. Oh my little flirt! (But don't worry, Dylan, Amy still loves you most and says she is still going to marry you). 

This picture is just before school began. Adelynne really struggled with her new school and her teacher and classmates the first couple of months. She is doing much better now, but she really missed her last school and her 1st grade teacher and her best friend, Ana. I think her teacher has been the hardest for her (and for me). She is a nice teacher, but she is very business- like. She is not very affectionate or enthusiastic. I feel like her teacher is teaching college not 2nd grade. But despite my opinion, Adelynne has come to love school again, and says her favorite part is writing. Her favorite specials are library and music. At their new school they have P.E. every day, which I think is great.

Good luck, Adelynne! I think I was very nervous for her, but no tears from me, I'm usually more excited than anything. I always loved the first day of school when I was in school, but I never moved and switched schools as a kid.

She looks nervous, doesn't she? That's her teacher smiling back at us. (And I'm sorry about the large woman in the corner, but I didn't want to cut out Amy's teacher). Who is fantastic, by the way. Amy adores her. 

Bye, bye sweet Amy. There were no tears from either of us. But looking at this picture I want to cry. Gosh, they grow up fast! (Said every mother on the planet).

School's out!! Her first day was great at least. And that is her teacher holding the door.

Amy showing me her favorite part of the playground, other than the swings. Its a really cool slide that has individually spinning tubes.

Back home again, all tired and sweaty from having so much fun. We get to walk to and from school because we live so close and I really love that. Amy was sad that she didn't get to ride the bus for the first couple of weeks, but she's gotten over that now. I feel very blessed that our girls are at a great school. Every person I have met that has had kids at their school just can't say enough good about it. I think it was another way Heavenly Father was looking out for us when He led us to our house and we were able to rent it. Such a tender mercy.


2 comments:

Christi said...

LOVED reading about their first day! What a great idea to take pictures at the beginning and end!

Unknown said...

what a great post! I never had to change schools as a kid either- weren't we lucky? Salem has already changed schools twice in four years :( and another coming after this school year. Is Amy your goofy girl and Addie is serious? miss you Tracy